You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) sanctions - Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) Hardship Payment help

Jobseeker's Allowance can be stopped or reduced if you don't follow your Jobseeker's agreement.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) Hardship Payment help

A hardship payment is a reduced amount of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) which you may be able to get if you have been refused Jobseeker's Allowance, or your benefit has been stopped, because of doubts about whether you are available for and actively seeking work. You may also be able to get them if:

  • you have been sanctioned
  • you are waiting for the Jobcentre Plus office to decide whether you meet the job seeking conditions
  • your JSA has been stopped for a fixed period following a benefit fraud offence.

You cannot get a hardship payment if your only benefit income is New Style/Contributory Jobseeker's Allowance.

Claiming Hardship Payments

If you want more information about hardship payments, and how to apply for them, you should ask in the Jobcentre Plus office.

You can also contact Jobcentre Plus to find out if you are eligible.

Telephone: 0800 169 0310
Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Welsh language 0800 328 1744




Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser