You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Young People and Benefits - Young people with housing costs

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Young people with housing costs


You may be able to get help to pay your rent through Universal Credit.

You must be paying rent under a commercial agreement. You cannot get Housing Benefit or the housing Element of Universal Credit if you live with your landlord and they are a close relative, e.g. your parents.

Universal Credit and Housing Benefit are means tested so whether you qualify will depend on your income and circumstances. You can still claim even if you are working full time.

If you are renting from a private landlord you will probably find that your Housing Benefit or the housing element of your Universal Credit is restricted to the cost of living in accommodation with shared facilities.

Remember that if you are a care leaver, you may not qualify for  Housing Benefit or Universal Credit at all, even if you would otherwise meet all entitlement rules.

Council Tax

If you are on a low income and liable to pay Council Tax, you may be able to claim help with your Council Tax through Council Tax Support. However, if you are aged under 18 you will not be liable for Council Tax.

If you are a full-time student in advanced education, you may not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless you fall within a certain category – see our Studying (aged 16+) section. There are no rules preventing you from claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you are in relevant education or if you are under 21 and studying on a course below degree level which you started before you were 19.

Reviewed: April 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser