Care homes and benefits - Benefits that can be paid if you live in a care home

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change.

Last reviewed 12 January 2024

Benefits that can be paid if you live in a care home

If you get any of the benefits listed below, the amount you get for yourself will not change if you live in a care home.

However, if you get any extra money in the benefit for another person, for example for a child or your partner, it is important for you to get advice about your situation. If you have a partner, it may be better for them to make their own claim for a benefit. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser.

If you are claiming Universal Credit, you may be able to carry on receiving it when you are living in a care home. You also might be able to make a new claim for Universal Credit when you live in a care home.

If you have a terminal illness and are in a hospice, you can continue to be paid Attendance Allowance, the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Child Disability Payment, and the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment or Adult Disability Payment after you have been resident for 28 days.

If you pay all of your care home fees yourself, or the local authority is temporarily paying your care home fees for you while you sell a property and you are going to repay them once the property is sold, you can still get the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component, Personal Independence Payment daily living component, Adult Disability Payment daily living component or Attendance Allowance.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an adviser