Care homes and benefits - Frequently asked questions

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change.

Last reviewed 08 April 2024

Frequently asked questions

Will I still get my State Pension when I start living in a residential home?

You will still get your Basic State Pension or your New State Pension if you move to live in a care home. However, if your care home fees are paid in full or part by the local authority, NHS or out of other public funds, you may have to use your State Retirement Pension to pay a contribution to the cost of care. 

You should always be left with a weekly personal expenses allowance of at least:

England: £30.15
Scotland: £34.50
Wales: £39.50
Northern Ireland: £27.19 

I was not getting any benefits when I moved to a care home because I was working before I became ill. Can I claim benefits now I live in a care home?

If you were working when you became ill, you might be getting Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). This will be paid for the first 28 weeks that you are not able to work. You may also continue to get Working Tax Credit for the first 28 weeks, if your income and savings are low and you have already been receiving tax credits.

If you are not entitled to SSP, and are not able to work due to ill health and you are aged under 66 and you have made sufficient national insurance contributions, you could claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are not able to work due to ill health and you are aged under State Pension age, you could claim Universal Credit.

If you are over State Pension age, you could claim Pension Credit

If your income or savings are low enough, you might get help with rent or payments towards a mortgage or other home loan if you are only temporarily living in a care home. See our Housing Costs guide for information on benefits to help pay your rent, Council Tax or mortgage/home loan.

If you are not getting Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA), you can make a claim for these benefits while living in a care home. If your care home fees are paid by the local authority, National Health Service (NHS) or out of other public funds, you will only be paid the daily living component of PIP or AA if/when you move out of the care home. Although it can be paid if you come out of the care home or spend time living at home, for example on weekends or holidays.

If you qualify for the mobility component of PIP or Adult Disability Payment Scotland, it can be paid when you are living in a care home.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants