Care homes and benefits - Your partner's benefits when you live in a care home

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change.

Last reviewed 15 January 2024

Your partner's benefits when you live in a care home

For the purposes of benefits claims, you and your partner will no longer be treated as a couple if you are living in a care home permanently. Your partner must apply for benefits as a single person.

If your partner gets a benefit in their own right, for example Basic State Pension, New State Pension or contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), they will get the benefit but any additional amount paid to them for you as their partner will stop. 

Your partner should tell whoever pays them benefits that you have moved to live in a care home (for example, Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service, Disability Service Centre, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or the local authority) so that they can decide what changes needs to be made to their benefits.

The benefits that your partner can claim as a single person will depend on their age, whether they are caring for children, looking for work, sick, disabled or caring for a disabled person. They can use the Turn2us Benefit Calculator to find out what they might be entitled to.   

If you are living in a care home temporarily, for example in respite care, any benefits your partner gets that include an amount for you will only change if you are likely to be living apart for more than 52 weeks if your partner gets legacy benefits or 6 months if your partner gets Universal Credit.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants