Care homes and benefits - Care homes and benefits

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change.

Last reviewed 08 April 2024

Care homes and benefits

A care home is a place that gives you nursing or personal care as well as accommodation.

This guide applies to people who are having all or some of their care home fees met by their local authority or the NHS. If you are fully self funding, you should speak to an adviser about how this might affect your benefit entitlement.

Some benefits can still be paid when you live in a care home. Some stop being paid once you, your partner or your child has been living in a care home for a set period of time. Others are reduced if they included amounts for your partner or a child.

Please note: This is a complicated area and we recommend that you seek advice from an expert benefits adviser about your particular circumstances. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser.

You should tell whoever pays you benefits (for example, Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service, (DWP), (HMRC) or the local authority) that you have moved to live in a care home. You should do this before you have been in it for 28 days as none of your welfare benefits will stop or go down in the first 28 days. They can then make any changes that need to be made so that you are not paid too much or too little.

If you own your home, its value could affect the amount of you are able to get when you move into a care home. In some cases, this means you are not able to get any . The rules are complicated and there are several ways that the value of your home can be ignored for a period of time. If you are in this position, it is important to get advice. Use our Find an Adviser tool (link above) to find a local adviser.

It is important to remember that although the benefit rules state how much benefit you will get when living in a care home, you may have to use some of the money you get from benefits to pay your care home fees. Unless you are funding yourself, the local authority will add your benefit income to your other income when working out how much you should pay towards the care home fees.

You should always be left with a weekly personal expenses allowance of at least:

England: £30.15
Scotland: £34.50
Wales: £39.50
Northern Ireland: £27.19 

Applies to: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland 


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants