Help from the local council if you are a carer - What help is provided?

As a carer, you have the right to have your own needs assessed by your local council. This could be as part of the assessment of the person you are caring for or in your own right.

What help is provided?

Depending on your circumstances, needs and what is available where you live, services to help you in your role as a carer should be provided by your local council's:

  • in England and Wales

  • The social work department in Scotland

  • The Health and Social Care Trusts in Northern Ireland.

This might include:

  • regular breaks from caring
  • equipment and adaptations to your home to make some caring tasks easier to manage
  • help with the housework.

The assessment will consider what your needs are and what help you need. Once you have been assessed, if services are required, they will draw up a care plan outlining what help you need and how this can be provided. Services may be provided by , voluntary organisations and/or private companies.



Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.