Personal Independence Payment - PIP - How do I challenge a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money for people who have extra care or mobility needs as a result of a disability.

Last reviewed 16 January 2023

How do I challenge a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision?

This page gives an overview of challenging a PIP decision.

For more about each stage, click on the sections below or see our Challenging a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision guide.  

Check decision

If you don’t understand the decision, you can ask the (DWP) to explain it. Contact them using the details on the decision letter. 

If you don’t know if the decision is right, you can check whether you qualify for PIP:

Ask for Mandatory Reconsideration

If you disagree with the DWP’s decision, you can ask them to look at it again and to change it. A is when the DWP look at their decision again and decide whether to change it.

The best way to ask for a is to write to the DWP at the address on your decision letter. You normally have one month from the date you got your decision letter to ask for .

Get Mandatory Reconsideration Notice

Once the DWP has looked again at the decision, they will send you a . The will tell you if the decision has been changed or it stays the same.

Appeal to Tribunal

If you disagree with the , you can appeal to a Tribunal. The Tribunal is separate to the DWP. 

To appeal, you have to fill out an SSCS1 form and send it to the Tribunal (at the address in the form) with one copy of your . You normally only have one month from the date you get your to appeal. 

You can also submit your appeal online.

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser