Water schemes - Water companies (England and Wales)
If you are struggling to pay water bills, find out about the various schemes and grants that may be available to help towards the cost of water.
- Last reviewed 29 November 2023
Water companies (England and Wales)
Social tariffs (England and Wales)
Many water companies also have now introduced social tariffs which can offer reduced bills to customers who would otherwise struggle to pay. Schemes can differ in terms of who is eligible for help and what assistance is provided.
The Consumer Council for Water website includes details of all the schemes which are currently available and how to apply in England and Wales
Many water companies offer schemes and/or have charitable trusts to help household customers with genuine reasons for being in debt or struggling to pay their water bills.
- Dwr Cymru Customer Assistance Fund
- Thames Water Customer Assistance Fund
- United Utilities Trust Fund
You would need to contact your water company to find out what it offers. See country specific information below.
England and Wales
The Consumer Council for Water website has details of water companies
- Ofwat, the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in England and Wales, has information on its website about Customer assistance for vulnerable water consumers in England and Wales
- Water UK has information on affordability and water
- Citizens Advice water supply information (England) Citizens Advice water supply information (Wales)