You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Council Tax Discounts - Carers


If you are a carer and you live in the same property as the person you care for, you might be able to get a discount on Council Tax.

You will need to provide more than 35 hours per week care.

The person you care for needs to be getting one of these benefits:
•    Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or high rate OR
•    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at any rate
•    Attendance Allowance at any rate
•    Armed Forces Independence Payment

The person you care for can’t be your husband, wife, civil partner or child under 18.

It doesn’t matter whether or not you’re getting Carer’s Allowance.

Your income and savings will not affect whether you can get this discount.

If you think this applies to you, speak to your local authority to ask how to apply for the discount.

Updated: April 2019

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants