You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Energy Efficiency Measures - Country Schemes - Grants for Energy Efficiency

If you need help with energy efficiency improvements in your privately owned or rented home, there are a number of schemes that may be able to help

Country Schemes - Grants for Energy Efficiency


Support is available through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO).


In Wales, support is available through the Nest Programme and Energy Company Obligation (ECO).


In Scotland, help is available through the Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland (HEEPS) and Energy Company Obligation (ECO).

Northern Ireland

See the NI Direct Energy Saving Schemes section for more information about what might be available if you live in Northern Ireland.

Eligibility for country schemes

You need to check the details of each scheme for eligibility rules as these vary.

For some schemes, you need to be getting certain means-tested or income-related benefits to qualify for a grant. For example, you may qualify if you are getting one or more of the following benefits and depending on where you live:

You'll need to contact the scheme provider in the country where you live to find out how much help you can get. This is because some benefits may not entitle you to receive the full package of energy efficiency improvements.

What help do the schemes provide?

A technical survey of the work proposed is needed to confirm if you qualify for financial assistance. If your home needs to be made warmer, this assistance could cover things like insulation or a new A-rated boiler. This work is carried out by approved installers, is fully guaranteed and under most schemes you don't need to source a suitably qualified installer once you have agreed to the nature and scope of the work proposed.

All of the schemes also offer free energy saving advice to everyone, even if you don't qualify for support to make your home warmer. You may also be able to get a free benefits check to make sure you are not missing out on other money.

How to claim

You can get more information about how to apply for money for home energy efficiency schemes as follows:

England: Energy Saving Trust and Simple Energy Advice
Wales: Nest Wales
Scotland: Home Energy Scotland
Northern Ireland: NI Energy Advice

Your local Citizens Advice bureau may also be able to advise further. You can find your local one by using our Find an Adviser tool or by looking at the information for the country of the UK that you live in on the Citizens Advice website.

Local councils

You may be able to apply to your local council for help towards energy efficiency.

Updated: November 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice.

Find local advice