You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Help from the local council if you are a carer - Who does it help?

As a carer, you have the right to have your own needs assessed by your local council. This could be as part of the assessment of the person you are caring for or in your own right.

Who does it help?

If you are caring for someone, help may be available to you from your local council department specifically to meet your needs as a carer.

All carers have the right to an assessment of their needs, although what sort of assessment, who does it and your associated rights to support depend on the type of carer you are.

Adult carers of adults aged over 18 years should have a Carer's Assessment carried out by the local council's social services department.  Young carers and carers of children aged under 18 might have their needs assessed by the local council's children's and family services department.

What is available may also depend on which part of the UK that you live in.


Reviewed August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser