You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Water schemes - Water Sure (England) and Water Sure Wales

If you are struggling to pay water bills, find out about the various schemes and grants that may be available to help towards the cost of water.

Water Sure (England) and Water Sure Wales

If you live in England or Wales, are on certain benefits, have a water meter and use a lot of water because you either  have a medical condition or three or more children aged under 19 for whom you claim Child Benefit, you may be able to get help from the Water Sure scheme.

People who meet the criteria for help under these initiatives can have their water bill capped at the amount of the average household water bill for their water company (in some cases less). For some customers, being accepted for the Water Sure scheme can more than halve the amount that they have to pay.

Who is eligible for Water Sure?

To qualify for help, you have to live in England or Wales and be getting at least one of the following benefits:

(except families getting the family element only) 

In addition, you have to be:

entitled to receive Child Benefit for three or more children under the age of nineteen who live with you, or
diagnosed as having, or have someone living with you who has one of the following medical conditions:

  • Desquamation (flaky skin disease)

  • Incontinence

  • Abdominal stoma

  • Eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration (weeping skin disease)

  • Crohn’s disease

  • Ulcerative colitis

  • Renal failure requiring dialysis at home (unless the health authority contributes to the cost of water consumed in the dialysis process)

  • Any other medical condition that requires the use of significant additional water and can be supported with a doctor’s certificate.

You do not qualify for the scheme if you:

  • Water your garden with a non-hand-held appliance, such as a sprinkler or domestic irrigation system

  • Have an auto-fill swimming pool or pond with a capacity of over 10,000 litres.

How do I apply?

You need to contact your local water company for further information and details of the application process.

If you don’t know the details of your local water company, the Consumer Council for Water, which represents the interests of water consumers across England and Wales, has a list of water companies on its website.

Once accepted for either scheme, you qualify until your circumstances change and you no longer require help. However, you will have to reapply or confirm that you remain eligible every 12 months. Your water company should remind you to do this.

It is worth contacting your local water company, even if you think you might not be eligible for the WaterSure Scheme or Welsh Water Assist, as they may be able to offer you a more flexible payment option or other help.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator
Grants Search

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser