You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Care homes and benefits - Benefits to help pay your rent, Council Tax or mortgage/home loan

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change. What will happen to your benefits depends on the type of benefit you get and whether you are going into or out of a care home. Living in a care home can also affect the benefits your partner or carer gets and any benefits you get for your children.

Benefits to help pay your rent, Council Tax or mortgage/home loan

Any benefits you get to help pay your rent, lease, mortgage, or other home loan and Council Tax on your former home will stop when you move to live in a care home permanently or if you do not plan to go back within 52 weeks. These benefits are:

If you move temporarily to a care home but are going to return home, for example you have respite care or are trying out a care home, these benefits can carry on being paid for up to 52 weeks.

You will need to tell the people paying the benefit that you are moving into a care home, for example Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service or your local authority. You should tell them as soon as you know you are moving so they can make sure that you are not paid too much.

If you were claiming one of these benefits on behalf of you and your partner, your partner should claim in their own right as soon as you move permanently into a care home.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants