You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Full time students and benefits - Can full-time students get Housing Benefit?

Find out more about the definition of a full-time student for benefit purposes and whether you can claim any benefits or tax credits

Can full-time students get Housing Benefit?

Most people cannot make new claims for Housing Benefit. If you already have a claim for Housing Benefit, it is possible you might be able to continue getting it while you study. Otherwise, any help with housing costs will be paid through Universal Credit and you will have to satisfy the eligibility tests for Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit

If you are a full-time student who is already getting Housing Benefit, you can continue to get Housing Benefit as a student if you meet one of the following conditions (these conditions also apply if you are a full-time student who falls into one of the groups who can still make new claims for Housing Benefit):

If you are under Pension Credit age and receive student support, in the form of a grant or loan, this will usually reduce the amount of Housing Benefit you can get. Unless you also get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), in which case you will automatically receive your maximum entitlement to Housing Benefit.

Reviewed: November 2021


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

White text on purple background that read I'm on Legacy Benefits

On Legacy Benefits

Write to your MP to extend the extra £20 a week to legacy benefits using our campaigning tool.

Write to your MP