Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Get ready for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) medical assessment

A guide for claiming Personal Independence Payment, the different stages of the claim process and what to expect

Get ready for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) medical assessment

Most people have to go to a medical assessment to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Your medical assessment is done by Independent Assessment Services (IAS) or Capita, depending on where you live. IAS and Capita are private companies which have been contracted by the government to do the medical assessments.

Appointment letter

Once you have sent back your form, you will get a letter confirming they have received your claim. This will be followed by an appointment letter from IAS or Capita, which you should receive in a few weeks, though in some areas there are delays and it could take longer.

The appointment letter will ask you to go to an appointment at an assessment centre or give you a time slot for a telephone or video assessment. The appointment should be at least one week away.

If you can’t go to the appointment, make sure you contact IAS or Capita straight away. Their phone number is on the appointment letter that they send you.

If it is impossible for you to have the assessment they have offered, for example because you are housebound and can't attend an assessment centre, you might be able to have the assessment done at home. You need to contact IAS or Capita to ask for an alternative assessment. IAS or Capita might ask you for medical evidence to show that you need adaptations.

Get ready for the assessment

You can take someone with you to the medical assessment. It can be someone who cares for you or a friend or a member of your family.

Plan how you will get to the assessment centre before the day of your assessment. Your appointment letter includes a map and directions. If you are not sure how to get there, call IAS or Capita on the number in your appointment letter.

Make sure you have the money you need to get to the assessment centre. You can get money back later if you use public transport (bus, tram or train). You can get some money back later for fuel if you, or the person who goes with you, drives to the assessment centre. You cannot get money back later if you get a taxi, unless IAS or Capita agree that they will pay for it before you go.

Getting the assessment recorded

You can ask the assessment provider to record the assessment. Lots of people like to do this to make sure they have a record of what was said in the assessment.

If you want your assessment recorded, you need to ask the assessment provider in advance. 

If the assessment provider says they cannot record the assessment, you should make a complaint to the assessment provider and tell your MP

Reviewed: February 2023


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an adviser