Winter Fuel Payment - Can I get a Winter Fuel Payment?
A Winter Fuel Payment is a one-off, tax-free payment made to households with someone over pension age.
- Last reviewed 23 August 2023
Can I get a Winter Fuel Payment?
You will be eligible if:
- You were born on or before 25 September 1957 for winter 2023 to 2024 (the date changes every year),
- You live in the UK. In some circumstances, you might be eligible if you live abroad (see below).
If you live in another European Economic Area country or Switzerland, you may still be eligible if you have a genuine link with the UK (excluding Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal and Spain).
If you meet the qualifying age but you live in a care home, you get a reduced payment. You will not be eligible if both of the following apply:
- you get Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), or Income Support
- you lived in a care home for the whole time from 26 June to 24 September 2023.