You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) documents

A guide for claiming Personal Independence Payment, the different stages of the claim process and what to expect

Get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) documents

You might want to get documents to put with your claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). 

You don’t have to put papers with your PIP claim (unless you are claiming under special rules because you are terminally ill). You can send them any time before the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) makes a decision on your claim. 

The more evidence you give of how your disability affects your everyday life, the easier it will be for the DWP to make the right decision about your claim.

If you want to put supporting evidence in your claim, these are good papers to include:

  • Medical records
  • Sick notes
  • Prescriptions
  • Diary of daily routine
  • Letters from medical professionals
  • Letters from other professionals
  • Letters from other people who help you.

It can take a long time to get medical records or letters. Ask for them as soon as you can, so they are ready to send in with your claim form. There is normally only five or six weeks between your phone call to start the claim and the date you have to return your form by.

If you can, make a copy of your documents. Keep one for yourself and one to send with your claim form. It is also a good idea to write your national insurance number on each sheet you send, in case it gets separated from the rest of your claim after the DWP receives it.

If you do an online form, you will be able to upload digital copies of your evidence as part of the form. 

Medical records

You can ask your doctor or GP for a copy of your medical records. You should not need to pay for them. If your GP is charging for access to your medical records, speak to the Information Commissioner's Office.

If you are claiming under the special rules because you are terminally ill, ask your doctor for a DS1500 form.

Diary of daily routine

You can make a diary to show how your disability affects you in day-to-day life. Keep a very detailed diary for at least one day to show how long everyday things take you and how you do them differently because of your disability.

Letters from medical professionals

You can include letters from any medical professionals you deal with. Medical professionals include the consultant you see at hospital, your community psychiatric nurse (CPN), your GP, health visitor, nurse, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, psychiatrist or your psychologist. 

You may want to include letters you have already received and/or ask your medical professional for a letter to support your claim. They can say what your condition is, how it affects your everyday life and what your treatment is. If you can’t find medical letters you already had, you can ask your doctor for a copy.

Letters from other professionals

Letters from another professional who helps you, like your healthcare assistant (HCA), social worker, support worker or a teacher, can also be helpful. They can say how your condition affects your everyday life.

Letters from people who help you

Letters from any friends or family who you rely on are helpful too. They can say how they help you and what would happen if they weren’t there to help you. It is important that anyone writing a letter like this includes their address, the date of the letter and their signature.

Updated: February 2022


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser