You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Funeral Payment - Can I get a Funeral Payment?

If you need help to pay for a funeral, you may be eligible for help through a Funeral Payment. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

Can I get a Funeral Payment?

You qualify for a Funeral Payment if you, or your partner, are getting one of the following benefits:

You may also qualify if you are entitled to a Support for Mortgage Interest loan.

If you partner has died and you did not qualify for the any of the benefits listed above while they were alive, you may be eligible for some of them now. You should use the Benefits Calculator to check if you are entitled to any of these benefits. If you are entitled, you should claim it straight away. You do not have to wait for a decision on the claim before you claim a Funeral Payment. 

You will not be granted a Funeral Payment just because you are paying for a funeral. The benefits office has to agree that it is reasonable for you to be responsible for paying for the funeral and that there is no one else who should be paying for it.

If you are claiming for the funeral of your child or partner, you can be paid a Funeral Payment as long as you meet the other qualifying conditions. This applies to lesbian, gay and heterosexual partners. It also applies whether you were married, in a civil partnership or just living together.

If you are a close relative, family member or a friend of the person who has died, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment. However, this will depend on whether there is someone closer or equally close to the person who has died who is not getting benefits. In this situation, the benefits office will consider how well you knew the person who has died and whether it is reasonable for you to accept responsibility for the funeral expenses.

The funeral usually has to take place in the UK to qualify for a Funeral Payment but some may be covered if they take place in an European Economic Area EEA country.

If the person who has died lived in Northern Ireland, you may also be able to claim a Funeral Payment for a funeral in the Republic of Ireland.

You should seek advice if the funeral is not in the UK; you can use our Find an Adviser tool or call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Bereavement Service (England, Wales and Scotland) or Northern Ireland Bereavement Service.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser