You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Can I get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

Find out more about Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).

Can I get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

You can get this for up to six months if you have been working and have paid enough national insurance contributions within the last couple of years. It is paid just for you even if you have a partner. 

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

You might get this type if your income and savings are low enough. There is no time limit on receiving this. You do not need to have paid any national insurance contributions. If you have a partner they must either not be working, or working fewer than 24 hours a week.

If you get contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you may get some income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance as well if you are on a low income and:

  • have a partner, or

  • have a disability, or

  • are caring for a person with a disability, or

  • have housing costs (e.g. a mortgage).

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool