You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Guardian's Allowance - How do I claim Guardian's Allowance?

If you look after a child who is not your own you may be entitled to Guardian's Allowance.

How do I claim Guardian's Allowance?

Phone for a claim form:
Telephone: 0300 200 3101
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Welsh language: 0300 200 1900

Download a claim form from the GOV.UK website

If you have not already claimed Child Benefit, you should claim this at the same time as Guardian’s Allowance.

What documents will I need to claim Guardian’s Allowance?

You must give evidence of your child, for example, a birth or adoption certificate, and a death certificate if a parent has died. You should also give your national insurance number. If you do not have a national insurance number, send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

When will my Guardian’s Allowance claim begin?

Guardian’s Allowance can be backdated for up to three months if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming. Sometimes it can be backdated to the point you started to qualify for Child Benefit.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser