You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Income Support - How do I claim Income Support?

Income Support helps people who do not have enough to live on. It is only available for certain groups of people who do not get Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance and are not in full time employment. Income Support is being replaced by Universal Credit.

How do I claim Income Support?

England, Scotland and Wales

Telephone Claim

Phone Jobcentre Plus:
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language line: 0800 012 1888

Paper Claim

Download a claim form from the GOV.UK website (link opens in a new window PDF file size 299kb)

Northern Ireland

Download a claim form from the NI Direct website (link opens in a new window)

Contact your local Social Security/Jobs and Benefits Office for a claim form.(link opens in a new window)

Rapid reclaim

If you need to make a new claim for Income Support within 26 weeks of ending a previous claim, and your circumstances are the same as the last time you claimed, you can fill in a shorter 'Rapid Reclaim' form instead of following the normal claim procedure. 

For example, this could apply if you used to claim Income Support then you took up a job which did not work out and you need to go back on to Income Support.

What documents will I need to claim Income Support?

You must send the following documents to support your claim:
•    If you are working – the payslip immediately before the period you want to claim from and any received since  
•    If you are self-employed – the most recent finalised accounts for your business
If you do not have this evidence, you should not delay claiming.

When will my Income Support claim begin?

An Income Support claim will begin from the date the claim form is received by the benefit office.

An Income Support claim can be backdated for up to three months before this date if you would have been entitled to it earlier. You have to have an acceptable reason for claiming late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants