You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Habitual Residence Test - What is the Habitual Residence Test?

Find out more about the Habitual Residence Test.

What is the Habitual Residence Test?

All claimants have to pass or be exempt from the Habitual Residence Test in order to claim certain benefits and Tax Credits.  What benefits, tax credits and services does the Habitual Residence Test Apply to?

To pass the Habitual Residence Test you must show a ‘settled intention’ to stay here. In most cases, you also need to be actually resident in the Common Travel Area for a period of time. However, you may be accepted as habitually resident sooner if you were previously habitually resident.

The Common Travel Area covers the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Republic of Ireland. 

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool