You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Education Maintenance Allowance EMA - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): England

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is a scheme for people studying or permanently resident in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The scheme is now closed in England.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): England

The EMA scheme in England is now closed. However, schools and colleges have funds to award bursaries to people aged 16-19 who need help.

If you are:

you could receive a bursary of £1,200 a year from your school or college.

If you are not in one of these groups, you can still apply for a bursary from your school or college but any award will be made at the school or college's discretion. They will also decide what conditions you should meet to receive a bursary - for example, linked to your behaviour or attendance record.

You can read more about bursaries on the 16-19 bursaries page of the Gov.UK website


Live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England

If you live in Scotland or Wales but plan to study in England, you can get EMA but you should apply in the country you normally live.

Reviewed: August 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page